Wednesday, January 5, 2011

WHAT TO DO NOW?

I just got an e-mail from my publishing company offering to reverse my rights as neither book has sold in the last year.
However, they want 149.00 per book. That is 298.00.
I can leave them there for the remainder of the contract (four years) if I would prefer.
I would like to get the rights to them back and after revising, submit them to another publishing company.
The reason they haven't sold is that I have to buy the books from them and sell them on my own.I can't afford to buy them. I have sold to all my friends and relatives. Book Signings have not worked for me. They charge too much for the books.
Thank you to those who commented on my last blog I am using your suggestions on how to remember my ideas for writing.

4 comments:

Tessa said...

Wow, that's quite a bit to buy your books back ... I didn't realize things work that way in the publishing industry. Glad I found your blog!

Tessa said...

btw (by the way), I am following your blog now and look forward to updates!

Jim Hartley said...

Would that publishing company happen to be PublishAmerica? Sure sounds like it. I published a book with them, not knowing any better at the time, and I just paid them their $149 (plus $3.99 s&h) extortion fee to get my rights back. But before I did, I worked out a deal, I had someone interested when and if I got the rights, so the book was quickly contracted elsewhere.

If you think you have a good shot at selling the books elsewhere, it is probably worth it; if not, just ride out the contract (7 years if it is PA). But make sure you notify them well in advance that you don't want to renew - PA's contract has a nasty auto-renew clause in it, you have to tell them at least six months before the expiration date by registered mail.

Unknown said...

Let me guess...Publish America strikes again. Before I'd give them a dime, I'd just let my contracts run out. That's what I'm doing. I guess I should send them a registered letter telling them I don't want my contracts to renew.